Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Acupuncture Review

WARNING- This first part is a bit long and detailed. If you want the short version- scroll down. 

This afternoon I had my very first acupuncture appointment. I was very excited albeit nervous about the process. I got there on time, filled out all the paperwork and didn't have to wait very long at all.

The acupuncturist brought me back to an area with a few chairs and we discussed the ailments I had listed on the paperwork. My two focuses were the PCOS (and irregular cycles/anovulation caused by this) and my depression. I had also listed problems with my knees, although I wasn't focused on fixing that particular ailment.

After we discussed all of that she gave me a very brief rundown of what to expect. She then led me into a room with approximately 5 chairs, and a few other things. This was clearly a room used for massage and other treatments. I was led to one of the chairs (which reminded me of a lounge beach chair) and instructed to take off my shoes/socks and place them in the plastic bin under the chair.

After I sat down she asked if I could roll my pant legs up to my knees since she wanted to work on my knee problems during this session. I was able to and she started inserting the needles. She had mentioned that the needles shouldn't hurt after they are in, but they would pinch and sometimes hurt a little when going in.

She started on my ears, telling me that she has had a lot of luck regulating cycles with the ears. She then moved to my left wrist and this was the one that hurt the most. She tapped one of the needles in and then had to insert it a little deeper and it was like a current sort of. Not painful really, but not comfortable. Once it was in however, it did not hurt. She then moved to my knees, and my right wrist, and then back to my other ear.

She had originally mentioned leaving them in for 45 minutes, but after I mentioned my inability to sit still for long, she shortened it to 30 or so.


Overall the treatment was very relaxing, despite the fact that I couldn't get my mind to STOP. And I still couldn't stop fidgeting but I think I was able to keep it under control enough so that it didn't hinder the process.

She suggested that I come back weekly, and I scheduled another appointment for next week.
I felt like she could have explained some things better, but I think sometimes my "research it all" attitude leads doctors and others to feel that I don't need as much explaining... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I asked Paul to tell me how he feels it worked as far as the depression goes. I feel better today, but I am cautious to be too optimistic. I could just be in a good mood today, but tomorrow or next week could be worse. I feel lighter, which to those who have been depressed before this should make plenty of sense.

My knees feel fine, but again, I'm just waiting to see longer term results.

I am by no means being skeptical. I am worried that I will end up with a placebo effect that won't last however, so I'm trying to find that balance.

So hopefully in the next few weeks my posts will be much lighter and I will continue to be productive. I have much to do tomorrow and it would be nice to get it all done for a change.


  1. You are very brave! I'm am not really sure I could sit through someone sticking neadles in my even though I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Keep us posted. I'm interested to hear if it feels any better.

  2. I am so glad that you tried it out! I have been wanting to try acupuncture too! Good for you!. Please keep us updated as you go through this!