Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Diet

I have never been great at managing my weight. I pretty much eat what I want, when I want and I am the equivalent to a bump on a log. But this last week has changed my outlook. Not really for myself, but for DH as well.

A friend of the family passed away this week. She was only 32 and she had a heart attack. I was absolutely shocked. And scared.

My DH has a LONG line of heart problems in his family. Not to mention Diabetes and other health problems. He is forever saying that he will die young. And for the last four years, all I have done is yell at him to not say that. And then file it in my head to deal with "later". Because in my mind- we still had time to worry about it. We are young! He is young!! Well- Beth (the friend that died) was only 5 years older than DH. 5 YEARS!!

This hit me very hard. I realized that we didn't have as long as we thought to work on getting healthy. And I am scared of how my already high weight is going to affect being PG.

So as of today we are starting a Paleolithic diet. It's sort of extreme, but I am excited about it. The idea behind it is a "Hunter and gatherer" diet. Basically only fresh veggies and lean meats. No potatoes, pasta, grains or breads. Among many other things.
The idea is that many foods have toxins, and many many years ago before there was the option of cooking foods- the above foods were considered poisonous. It wasn't until someone discovered that they could cook most of the toxins out of the foods, did we start ingesting them.
But some of the toxins still remain, and they can have many negative affects on our body. We have friends who have been on this diet. They have gotten great results not only in weight loss, but in mind clarity and energy levels.

I am a little scared that I won't be able to stick to it, but I have a low GI diet in my backpocket to stick to if this is too much. The actual diets are similar, so it shouldn't be too hard to mesh them together.

So this blog will be a combination of diet news and TTC news. If you have any questions about the Paleolithic diet- look here.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck on the new diet. I am not good at strict diets...I like sugar too much. I have found WW works best for me because it allows for cravings.

    Thank you for your support on my blog. Your words have really provided comfort. I wish you the best of luck in your personal journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad about your family member. Really makes you think. Good luck with your diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your blog on LFCA and wanted to say welcome! I hope your new diet works out well. I have actually heard of that diet before and heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete